The Wireless Generation is a documentary about a new generation of people who are taking their careers online in order to travel the world.
ABOUT THIS FILM
The internet has changed everything. Not just how we work, but where. Working from home in the US has increased dramatically in recent years and they estimate that by 2016, 63 million Americans will work from home at least part time (Source: 2011 Forester Research).
We wanted to look at the edges of this movement, the people who are not just working from home and keeping the status quo, but those who are taking this new freedom — the opportunity to choose to live anywhere without having to consider workplace location — and what happens next.
If you shift your life from being centered around where you to work, to being centered around how you want to live, what happens? Where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world?
We followed the stories of 18 individuals who take work from home to the next level. They’re living abroad, traveling, experiencing things that they would have never have seen if they worked in a traditional office. This is the first generation of people who realistically can hold a 9-5 job and travel around the world at the same time.
We call these people The Wireless Generation.
We interviewed people across five continents including:
- a psychology professor teaching online from Thailand
- a financial analyst for American Express backpacking across South America
- a family of four traveling with their kids across Asia as they build websites for their clients back home in Australia
- a day trader living in Colombia
- an internet entrepreneur who only works a few hours a month and spends the rest volunteering in places like Haiti and Rwanda
These people have each found ways to make the ultimate dream of traveling the world possible — while keeping their careers. All it takes is a good wifi connection, a little creativity and the desire to do something different.